It's the holy grail for combat stress in a 100% natural and effective way. Yes, we are talking about adaptogens and how they are being introduced into our daily lives to slow down the fast pace of modern life.
Lately, you may have heard or read about adaptogenic plants, but why are many people starting to consume them? What benefits can they bring you? Are they really safe? Here we clear all your doubts.
What are adaptogens and what are their benefits?
Adaptogens are plants or fungi that help the body adapt to physical, chemical, or biological stress.
As it is a natural substance, it has no side effects and its function is to stimulate the protective response against stressful situations and return your body to a state of balance called "homeostasis".
Here are some of the benefits of adaptogens:
- improve attention
- reduce fatigue
- Balance hormone levels
- Increase physical stamina and energy levels
- Improve organ function, such as the liver or adrenal glands
- They stimulate the immune system
- They fight the symptoms caused by elevated cortisol levels (anxiety, depression, high blood pressure, insulin resistance)
What is the history of these miraculous plants?
The term "adaptogen" was coined in the 1940s by the doctor Nicolai V. Lazarev, Soviet scientist, doctor and pharmacologist, who studied the body's resistance to stress.
Although these plants are fashionable, they are not new, having been used for centuries in the Chinese and Ayurvedic traditions. And today they are reborn again to make our lives a little easier.
What types of adaptogens are there?
There are at least 70 types of herbal plants that are considered adaptogens and many of them belong to Eastern medicine.
Here we highlight the most common adaptogens:
- Ashwagandha: It is an evergreen shrub that grows in India, the Middle East and some regions of Africa. Its use can treat aging and anxiety.
- Ginseng: It is a small plant found mainly in North America. It is ideal for increasing the body's defenses and strengthening the immune system.
- Tulsi: Also called holy basil, it is widely used in the Hindu tradition, as it is used for many conditions, such as coughs, colds, and even to soothe scorpion stings.
- Rhodiola rosea L.: It grows in the cold and high areas of northern Europe, Asia and eastern North America. It serves to improve the effects of lack of sleep, helps concentration and reduces anxiety, among other benefits.
- Astragalus: It is a plant widely used in traditional Chinese medicine. It is packed with good antibacterial, anti-inflammatory, healing and analgesic properties.
What can adaptogens do for you?
Work projects, important exams, managing grief processes or breakups are examples of stressful moments in which your body suffers. In these cases, adaptogens may be key to overcome these situations successfully.
But how do they really work? When we are faced with a stressor, be it physical or mental, our body undergoes the General Adaptation Syndrome (GAS).
This goes through three stages: alarm, resistance and exhaustion. And adaptogens help us stay longer in the resistance phase, through a stimulating effect that slows down exhaustion.
In short, adaptogens send your body a signal to fight or flee. And it is that when we are stressed our adrenal glands secrete cortisol, which gives us energy to face an emergency.
Abusing adaptogens is not good either, since they could become toxic to our body and our health could be affected. Therefore, it is important to consult a specialist before using a new supplement.
5+1 adaptogenic products that help you release stress
If you went to bed late yesterday and your sheets have stuck to you, you have found 20 new WhatsApp messages and you still have to pack your tupperware, prepare a presentation and take the children to school... Breathe and use the magic of adaptogens! !
You can consume them in the form of an infusion or in capsules, although there are also other ways. Here is our list with the best natural products:
The brand Cosmic Dealer offers you a new way to combat stress in the most delicious way, thanks to its 85% dark chocolate tablets.
Son sugar free, handmade and sweetened with dates. And the secret of its success lies in the adaptogens and Ayurvedic spices.
Which do you want more?
- Dark Chocolate 85% with digestive adaptogens: ideal for intestinal transit, with cherry and wild fennel.
- Dark Chocolate 85% with anti-stress adaptogens: your most tempting ally against stress, with coconut and ashwagandha.
- Dark Chocolate 85% with adaptogens Radiant Skin: your secret to shine with natural light, with cocoa, Blue Cornflower and Ajaparita (pea flower).
- Dark Chocolate 85% with adaptogens Mood Support: Fight even the most exhausting day with this hibiscus salt and ashwagandha based chocolate.
Superb is synonymous with wellness thanks to its range of natural supplements (that do work) and are packed with herbal and mineral ingredients.
Its formulations are unique, vegan and cruelty free. Also, the packaging it is 95% recyclable.
These are their top capsules with adaptogens that you will love:
- Muse: its high content in vitamin C makes them a fantastic antioxidant, slows down aging, helps hair and nail growth, as well as collagen production.
- Electra: the remedy to combat insomnia, fatigue and stress thanks to the power of the plant Whitania somnifera.
If you've been feeling down lately or need an energy boost, consuming a product that contains adaptogens can be very helpful.
As it is a natural alternative, you should not worry about trying them, but remember to follow the doses recommended by each manufacturer.